What we do
We are SafeLives, the UK-wide charity dedicated to ending domestic abuse, for everyone and for good.
No one should live in fear. It is not acceptable, not inevitable, and together – we can make it stop.
Ending domestic abuse, for good
We believe that domestic abuse can be stopped. Stopped before it starts. Stopped before it ruins lives.
Every year, over two million people in the UK experience domestic abuse. Not one of them should have to wait until they're in crisis before we pay attention.
And why do we say "for good"? Because we want to stop it before it starts. And if it does start, we want a response that provides long-term, wraparound support to decrease the chance it will happen again. Too many perpetrators repeat their behaviour, too many children grow up impacted by the long-term effects of domestic abuse.
The cycle needs to stop. Forever. For everyone.
What would you want for your best friend?
- Early, consistent and tailored support that makes them safe and meets their needs
- Help made available wherever they need it –whether from the police, their GP or hospital, or where they live
- The choice to stay safely in their own home and community
- The perpetrator challenged to change and held to account
- A response that addresses the impact of domestic abuse on children and young people
- Agencies working together to meet the practical needs that people have, providing help on areas such as housing, money and access to justice
We want this for each and every person living with abuse. Wherever they live, whoever they are.
What we will do
To end domestic abuse we must see the whole picture. Domestic abuse is never all of someone's experiences or situation. We need to see the whole person, the whole family, the whole community and the whole society if we are to truly see the whole picture.
Using this whole picture approach we will:
- Act before someone harms or is harmed
- Identify and stop harmful behaviours
- Increase safety for those at risk
- Support people to live the lives they want after harm occurs
Inherent in all this work is the expert voice of frontline practitioners and the authentic voice of survivors. We will keep expanding the opportunities for those with lived experience to speak for themselves, in their own voices, and be heard by those who can make change.
We are ambitious. But we cannot and will not do this alone. Work with us, talk to us, tell us what needs to change and we will do everything we can do make it happen. We believe it is possible to end domestic abuse. The time is now.