Responding to older people affected by domestic abuse
Our research finds that on average, older people experience domestic abuse for twice as long before seeking help as those aged under 61, and nearly half have a disability.1 Yet, older victims are hugely underrepresented in domestic abuse services.
This training course will help you improve the response to older people in your area who are experiencing domestic abuse.
Our Spotlight on older people and domestic abuse highlighted that older people are often 'hidden' victims of domestic abuse.
As well as experiencing abuse for twice as long before seeking help, older victims are also less likely to attempt to leave in the year before accessing support and are more likely to continue to live with the perpetrator after getting support.
It's so important that support for older people is delivered in a way that is tailored to their needs. That's why we've developed this new Expert level course alongside specialist agencies including Age UK, Dewis Choice, Surviving Economic Abuse and East Lancashire CCG.
The course will increase your understanding of the dynamics of domestic abuse and how it may be different for older people. It will encourage you to consider how age-related factors may impact on a person's experience of abuse, the key risk factors for serious harm, and how to safety plan in a multi-agency context.
For those working in Wales: Group 4 of the National Training Framework includes any worker, currently working as an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor and this training is suitable for group 4 workers CPD programme.
Join us and you'll learn about:
- the family and community dynamics that may affect older people experiencing abuse
- effective risk management and safety planning with older people in a multi-agency context
- the unique forms of economic abuse that older people can experience
- identifying and responding to adult safeguarding concerns
- age-related health issues and their implications for practice
- how to address barriers to engagement, to build an age-inclusive service.
1 SafeLives Insights data, 2015-16