What is an Idva?
An Idva is a specialist professional who works with a victim of domestic abuse to develop a trusting relationship. They can help a victim with everything they need to become safe and rebuild their life, and represent their voice at a Multi-agency Risk Assessment Conference (Marac), as well as helping them to navigate the criminal justice process and working with the different statutory agencies to provide wraparound support.
The impact of an Idva
Following support from an Idva service, at the closure of their cases:
• The majority of survivors reported cessasion of each type of abuse:
- Physical abuse (79%)
- Sexual abuse (88%)
- Harassment and stalking (60%)
- Jealous and controlling behaviour (63%)
• 84% of survivors reported feeling safer
• 73% of survivors felt their quality of life had improved
For more information on the life changing impact of Idvas and other specialist professionals, read our latest Insights national datasets