Get help if you are experiencing abuse

At SafeLives we provide research, training and support to frontline domestic abuse services and professionals – we are not a domestic abuse service providing direct support to people experiencing abuse.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, are worried about a friend/family member, or would like more information about spotting the signs of abuse, immediate help is available.


If you are in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the police.

Silent calls to the police will work if you are not safe to speak – use the Silent Solution system and call 999 and then press 55 when prompted.

Emergency Text Service: If you can’t use a voice phone, you can register with the police text service - text REGISTER to 999.  You will get a text which tells you what to do next.  Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger. Find out more.

Ask for ANI: If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need immediate help, ask for ‘ANI’ in a participating pharmacy. ‘ANI’ stands for Action Needed Immediately but also phonetically sounds like the name Annie. If a pharmacy has the ‘Ask for ANI’ logo on display, it means they’re ready to help. They will offer you a private space, provide a phone and ask if you need support from the police or other domestic abuse support services.


If you are not in immediate danger, please call one of the following helplines: 

England: Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 
0808 2000 247 (run by Refuge) 

Women's Aid live chat service (now open from 8am to 6pm on weekdays / 10am to 6pm on weekends)

Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327

Respect helpline: 0808 802 4040 (for anyone worried that they may be harming someone else)

Financial support line: 0808 1968845 (run by Money Advice Plus in partnership with Surviving Economic Abuse, offering specialist advice to anyone experiencing domestic abuse who is in financial difficulty.)

Dyn Wales/Dyn Cymru: 0808 801 0321 (for men in Wales experiencing domestic abuse) or dyn@saferwales.com for all queries, referrals and information or please use  www.saferwales.com

Galop: 0800 999 5428 (national helpline for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people experiencing domestic abuse)

Forced Marriage Unit: 0207 008 0151

Paladin - National Stalking Advocacy Service: 020 3866 4107

Citizens Advice National Helpline: 03444 111 444. You can also contact your local office by phone, email and some provide a web service. Check your local office website for the most up to date information on contact details. 

Crimestoppers are an independent charity that gives people the power to speak up about crime - 100% anonymously. You can call them on 0800 555 111.


If you suspect that an abuser is monitoring your internet usage, find out how to hide your browser history.

To find your local domestic abuse support service you can use the Women’s Aid Directory of Service for England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.


Reach In

It can be very hard to reach out for help from behind closed doors. As a friend, family member or neighbour, it’s not your responsibility to stop the abuse, but you can reach in to let them know they are not alone. Find out more about the steps you can take to help someone you are worried about. 


Bright Sky app by Hestia

Bright Sky is a free to download mobile app, launched by Hestia in partnership with the Vodafone Foundation, providing support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know.

The app is also designed to be used by specialist and non-specialist practitioners and other employers, and for anyone looking for information about issues around domestic abuse such as online safety, stalking and harassment and sexual consent. Find out more